Unforeseen Limp

Writing. Bus ImageClutching her tan cardboard suitcase Thelma boarded the Greyhound bus. With her free hand she swept a film of dust from an empty seat. Dust. It was like a crazed intruder. Nothing seemed to deter it.

She settled in for the first leg of her journey. Unknowns lay ahead.  What was it like anyway? This Golden State?

Clyde kept his promise. He wired her travel money. He would meet her at the other end of the line.

She considered Clyde’s qualities. Like anyone he had shortcomings. But he kept his word. Her nervousness eased.  She was joining him soon just like he said. He’ll receive her with his wide smile and embrace.

The bus was on open road now. Thelma lowered her hands, linked her fingers over her midsection and looked out the window. One – two – three. She counted fence posts parading by.

An exodus of automobiles and trucks, some barely roadworthy, chugged westward. Most were bulging with Texans and Oklahomans – Dustbowl escapees. Every small town dotting the Mother Road received the caravan. And yielded it up some minutes later at the far end of Main Street.

Her last ride rolled into East Bay’s station. Thelma eagerly studied faces of locals receiving their travelers. Where was Clyde? Lugging her suitcase she alighted. She scanned the area until it nearly emptied.

Fingering a scrap of paper with an address scrawled on it she trudged off. The suitcase felt heavier.

Clyde hurried along the hilly streets. He was frantic and mortified. How could he have done it? How could a guy drift off to sleep like that – miss his girl’s arrival?

He turned a corner and saw her.  Her luggage shoulder sagged and her face was flushed.

On the trip she saw them racing toward each other. Laughter.

Taking the suitcase he awkwardly hugged her. He apologized. At the entry to their apartment he apologized again.

Clyde was a man of strong conscience.

Today it pummeled him.

© 2015 Jerry Lout

Comments

comments

Join the discussion 28 Comments

• Millie says:

This post is genuinely a nice one it helps new internet people, who are wishing in favor of
    blogging.

• test says:

hello!,I really like your writing so much! percentage we keep up
    a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I need
    a specialist in this house to unravel my problem. May be that’s you!
    Looking forward to see you.

• Jasa SEO says:

halo!, Saya sangat suka tulisan Anda sehingga banyak !
    Persentase kami berkomunikasi lebih sekitar Anda Artikel
    di AOL? Saya memerlukan ahli di ini ruang untuk menyelesaikan masalah saya.

Mungkin yang Anda! Mengambil melihat depan untuk melihat Anda.

• all the time i used to read smaller articles that as well clear their motive, and
    that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am
    reading here.

• This article is in fact a pleasant one it assists new web viewers, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

• I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your
    site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
    one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

• You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I find this matter to be really one thing which I believe I’d by no means understand.
    It seems too complex and very large for me.
    I’m taking a look ahead to your subsequent post, I’ll try
    to get the grasp of it!

• Asking questions are actually nice thing if
    you are not understanding anything totally, however
    this article presents pleasant understanding yet.

• Hi to every body, it’s my first go to see of this website; this
    blog contains awesome and in fact fine data in favor of visitors.

• Carol says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative and amusing, and let
    me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem
    is something too few people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy I came across this during my
    search for something concerning this.

• Genia says:

Hi mates, its fantastic post on the topic of tutoringand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

• Hi to every , as I am genuinely eager of reading this
    weblog’s post to be updated daily. It contains nice data.

• Wikipedia says:

This stays away from the likelihood of bodyweight the resource.
    For specific purpose, can look at help during price comparison websites.
    Payments normally also worked on online. http://www.wikipedia.org

• May I simply say what a comfort to find someone who really understands what they’re talking about on the net.

You definitely know how to bring a problem to light and
    make it important. A lot more people must check this out
    and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you’re not more popular given that you
    certainly have the gift.

• Time is money so choosing a good SEO guy that understands
    exactly how this digital space works in contrast to throwing away invaluable time and not gaining
    any ground regarding suppressing negative search results.

• It’s in point of fact a great and useful piece of info.
    I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

• I got this web site from my friend who told me on the topic of this website
    and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative content at this place.

• Awesome! Its actually amazing article, I have got much clear idea on the topic of from this post.

• Jasa seo says:

Semuanya sangat terbuka dengan jelas klarifikasi dari tantangan. Itu benar informatif.

situs Anda sangat membantu. Terima kasih untuk
    berbagi!

• now says:

Just like you and me, if I’m walking I can easily walk for
    an hour. The statue will need to be moved so that the
    Heron thinks it is another bird’s territory.
    All roads should now be leading to the Yosemite
    National Park in California’s Mariposa County.

• construction containers for trash
    Find Out More http://www.dylanwickens.com/sitemap358.php

• As knowledge is really essential to people of all
    ages to acquire world wide, DAPP Malawi of Humana People to
    People helps learning probable. While some nations around the world already have got great schooling systems, other nations and developing nations have problems with
    a significant lack of educat-ed and efficiently professional teachers.
    Plenty of nations which are in serious demand for capable teachers.
    DAPP Malawi creates advances to pro-vide teacher
    training programs in those countries and more to aid developing sections
    increase the education program. Teaching educators is usually a major
    priority making sure that students will be able to learn in the suitable quality and rate with regard
    to their age group.
    Farmers Club projects are available at numerous colleges
    around the globe. DAPP Malawi helps to assist
    all Humana People to People agencies in giving the training projects
    at a number of colleg-es. Africa hosts 32 teacher training schools and
    India hosts 22 institutions that offer this program.
    Malawi supplys one college with 2 advanced schooling stage courses
    while Humana People to People continue to assist some other
    developing nations in their hunt for advanced schooling.
    These schools and many more are held by donations and help from DAPP Malawi.

Even though developing nations might have educators
    within their classrooms, they are not generally fully-trained and capable to offer their learners with all the substance they absolutely need to know.
    From basic studying understanding to math knowledge and physical education, teacher training programs will supply every teacher useful information that they
    could fix in the class. Specialized, enthusiastic
    and prideful are just a few ways to identify the instructors taking benefit from the outstanding instructing projects.

• Alberta says:

It is not so simple to find content that is important but
    this undoubtedly qualifies as you. Leaving certainly will certainly come back shortly and content!

• Host_timescale 4: Speedhack command for sv_cheats 1.